Workday Extend is a toolset that enables developers to build, deploy, and share apps that extend the core Workday features. Custom apps run on Workday, render custom pages that follow the Workday UI standards, and interact with Workday data and external data sources. Custom apps can store data as unique business objects used with specialized business processes and security domains. Apps can launch event-driven and automated processes across Workday and third-party systems. Apps can also be external applications that run outside the tenant and directly access Workday data. Our Workday Extend Training serves as a medium to harness your knowledge in Workday extend and help you kick-start your career as a Workday Extend Developer.
Workday Extend enables your organization to
• Build upon Workday core functionality to solve unique business requirements.
• Increase user productivity by providing simplified tasks and harmonized user experiences within Workday.
• Reduce IT costs incurred from maintaining a network of applications on separate technology stacks.
• Use existing domain and business process security policies within Workday.
You can build a custom app in
• Human Capital Management to foster employee engagement in programs that support corporate mission, values, and culture.
• Financials to enable supplier self-service to initiate transactions in the Workday Supplier Portal.
• Student to simplify the provision of student services and encourage student engagement in campus activities.
• Enterprise Frameworks to collect information from employees and managers for analysis, transaction processing, or integrations.
• Workday determines the allotted resources and usage thresholds for your organization based on your Workday Extend contract. You can view the Entitlements dashboard on the Developer Site for usage statistics and thresholds. To protect the health of your tenant, Workday limits the number of API calls on a per-second basis. When your tenant exceeds this limit, the apps receive a 429 HTTP response code. When the number of requests per second drops below the limit, calls complete successfully.
• Presentation Services imposes certain guardrails on custom apps to optimize tenant performance and resources.
• If your apps use model components, be aware of the limits on model components.
• If your apps use orchestrations, be aware of the orchestration runtime limits.
Workday Extend enables you to iteratively develop, and then test your apps across multiple environments to ensure that apps are working properly before you install them in your production environment. Use the Workday Extend App Manager worklet on your Workday tenant to install and configure your apps on the tenant at each phase of the app lifecycle. When you have an idea to solve a business problem for your organization, you iterate through these phases of the app lifecycle to put your idea into action:
• Build: Create an app that brings your idea to life.
• Test: Test your app and its configurations.
• Verify: Verify that your app works in a production-like environment.
• Release: Release your app to production.
These components enable you to build fully featured apps that meet your custom business needs:
• Presentation Components create the user interface and page interactions of an app, which provides familiar Workday user experiences.
• Model Components create data, logic, and security components that are consistent with the object model, business process framework, and configurable security model in Workday.
• Orchestration Components create event-driven processes across Workday and external systems. Orchestrations facilitate logic across several components to update Workday data, trigger business processes, send notifications, and connect to third-party APIs.